What Is Bowls or Boules?
Bowls, or Boules, is a fun and easy game to learn. It is a great game for all ages and can be enjoyed by people of all skill levels. Bowls is typically played outdoors on a grassy surface.
The game equipment consists of a set of bowls, or balls, and a smaller ball called a jack. The bowls are biased caused by the shape of the ball. The game is played on a bowling green. The game is mostly played outdoors but can be played indoors.
Our choice for the
Best Bowls Set On Amazon
Bowls is a game that can be traced back to the 13th century. It is thought to have originated in England and was documented as being played by King Edward III and his nobles. The game then spread to other parts of Europe and eventually made its way to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States.
In Bowls, the goal is to roll your bowls as close to the white ball, or “jack”, as possible. The team or player with the bowl closest to the jack at the end of the game wins a single point. You continue playing until the first player reaches 21 points.
Need Rules For Games?
If you want to play more games. We probably have the rules for the game.
Game Rules [Rules & Instructions]
Is Bowls Similar To Bocce?
Bocce Ball and Bowls are cousins, but they are different in these ways:
- Bocce Ball is round, while Bowls is only round in one direction and elliptical in the other. This makes it curve more.
- Second, Bocce Ball is thrown underhand, like softball. Bowls are rolled instead.
- Third, the Bocce court is made of sand or long grass and usually measures 10 feet by 76 feet. The Rink is made of bent grass and usually measures 19 feet by 120 feet.
- Lastly, both games have an object ball called a “Pallino” in Bocce Ball and a “Jack” in Bowls.
Read More OutdoorGoodness Game Articles
- Ultimate Outdoor Games Guide: Fun-filled Activities Await
- Life-Sized Giant Outdoor Games: Fun on a Massive Scale!
- 15 Halloween Outdoor Games That Your Gang Will Love
- 21 Fun Outdoor Birthday Party Games
- 23 Board Games for Camping: Top 10 Fun Family Favorites!
- 27 Outdoor Party Games: Sun and Shenanigans!
- 57 Outdoor Games For Families [With Equipment and Without]
- 27 Fun Outdoor Games For Kindergartners [New Ideas]
- The 35 Best Outdoor Games For All Ages
- 35 Fun Backyard Water Games for Kids
What We Will Teach You
This guide will teach you the basics of how to play Bowls, including game equipment, setup, how to bowl, scoring rules, and strategy tips.
Let’s get started!
You will need two bowls, jacks (the small white ball), and a mat or towel to use as a throwing line.
You will also need a flat, open area to play on. This can be a lawn, a parking lot, or any other level surface.
If you plan on playing in tournaments or with serious bowlers, it is recommended that you purchase your own set of bowls. Otherwise, some clubs and parks will have bowls available for public use.
Bowls are typically made of hard plastic or wood, and they come in a variety of sizes and weights.
To set up the game, you will need to mark out a rectangular playing area. This can be done with chalk, tape, or cones. Setup can be done on any level surface, such as a lawn, courtyard, or even a driveway. The playing area should be roughly 30 feet long and 15 feet wide.
Simply place the mat or towel, at one end of the play area, so that it is perpendicular to the direction you will be bowling in. At the other end of the playing area, you will place a small target ball, or “jack.” which should be placed at least 21 feet away from the mat or towel.
How To Play Bowls
Now it’s time to start playing! Bowls are played with teams of two, and each team takes turns throwing the jack down the lane. The goal is to get your bowls as close to the jack as possible.
To start the game, one player will roll the jack down the playing area. The other players will then take turns rolling their bowls towards the jack. The goal is to get your bowl as close to the jack as possible. When all of the bowls have been rolled, the player with their bowl closest to the jack is the winner of 1 point.
Scoring is simple. If your bowl is closer to the jack than any of your opponent’s bowls, you score one point. If multiple bowls are tied for closest to the jack, no points are awarded. The first player to reach 21 points wins the game.
Scoring systems vary from competition to competition. Some are the first with a specific number of points, such as 21 or higher in this case; while others use an “establish” system where each competitor gets seven shots at getting their highest score before continuing on for more games that can last up until five sets per match (a best-of-five). There is also a singles play that requires one bowler against all ten bowlers’ lanes combined during every game!
There are a few strategies to keep in mind when playing:
- First, remember that bowls are not perfectly round. This means that they will sometimes veer off course when you roll them. You will need to account for this when you are aiming your bowl.
- Second, it is important to keep your bowls clean. Tee Hee! If they get dirty, they will be less likely to roll straight.
- Finally, Bowls is a game of patience. The more you practice, the better you will get at it.
Bowls is a fun and easy game that anyone can enjoy. With a little practice, you’ll be scoring points in no time.
Get out there and try Bowls today!
Meet Kevin Goodell, your outdoor adventure coach! With a passion for nature ignited in childhood, Kevin brings a wealth of experience and expertise to simplify tough outdoor skills. As a U.S. Army veteran and former Sergeant, he has honed his leadership and teamwork abilities while developing a deep love for the great outdoors.
Kevin’s dedication to outdoor activities spans biking, birdwatching, national park trips, and archery/golf. With his friendly and approachable demeanor, he is committed to guiding individuals of all ages and skill levels towards unforgettable outdoor experiences.
Harnessing his extensive knowledge and personal achievements, Kevin is your go-to resource for learning and enjoying various outdoor pursuits. Whether you seek thrilling adventures or serene nature escapes, Kevin’s professional yet friendly approach will ensure an engaging and informative experience. Embark on your next outdoor adventure with Kevin Goodell and embrace the beauty of nature like never before.